Monday, January 18, 2010

Scratched: Chapter 2

Claire


2.20 a.m.
Saturday
On a Bed of Skulls

My choirmaster would have been proud of me, the decibels I reached were amazing. I found myself swimming in a sea of bones, presumably human. It took me a few seconds to realise that I should be screaming, for help at least. Duke and Justin came crashing through the floor eons later, Duke in a flustered state.

I make my way over to him, he reaches in to me with anticipating arms. "Claire," he whispered," Are you okay?" I needn't answer. He didn't require one. I look over his shoulder to locate Justin, who was inquisitively bending over the masses of bones. Typical Biology student. He picked the skull up with great enthusiasm, asking Duke if he wouldn't mind him bringing it home.

Duke answered in a great grunt, disregarding any notion of skulls as souvenirs. Suddenly, I fell victim to emotion. The whole journey here was taxing on mind and body. The aggravating traffic, misleading sign boards, getting lost, countless arguments and no reconciliation, eerie and goosebumps causing village place thingy, now a basement for a grave? Justin's casual jokes and Duke's comforting embrace just didn't cut it. I wanted to go home. My tear ducts gave way, and out came bursting hot, fresh tears, creating a salty patch on Duke's shoulder. I kept mumbling, "Should have walked home, should have walked home." If only I did fight him harder, he would have thrown me out off the car. Or would he?

Duke was compassionate, despite his impatience for all this crap. He did let a few words of encouragement escape between his lips, but nothing fell in my ears. Instead, I glanced at a small flight of steps and quickly sat down before I collapsed. Head on my knees, I felt a calm reassurance, that tomorrow I'll be at school, giving free Mathematics tuition to the Convent schoolgirls. I imagined their cute pig tails, short pleated skirts, eager asking how to add and subtract, divide and multiply.

My trail of thoughts were stopped. I heard a faint noise behind me. Something prickled my jeans, I jumped up hastily. "What was that?" I asked aloud. Duke turned to face me, Justin dropped the skull. I walked slowly towards Duke and Justin and peered through the steps to find a bright yellow pair of eyes peering back at me.

To be continued...

No comments: