Saturday, January 16, 2010

Scratched: Chapter 1

Justin

7.30 p.m.
Friday
School Library

"And that's how you solve a pesky Calculus problem!"

I watched her shut the thick, fat Further Mathematics book with triumph then I glared down at my miserable looking maths sheet, defeated by scribbles of undecipherable equations. Claire smiled at me, showing off every pearly white, than ruffled my hair. " You'll soon figure it out, kiddo."


It was then when Duke, walked into the library, stopped at me, shook his head and ventured into a deep lip lock with Claire.


I posed as a lamp post for those ten minutes.

Once they got out of the love tunnel, I gestured towards the darkening clouds outside the library window. "Yeah, it's getting kinda late, isn't it? Looks a little rainy too," Duke observed, then added, "Better leave now before we get caught in the rain."

Our footsteps echoed through out the marble floored library, but failed opposing the booms of thunders that came rolling in. We quickened our steps and found ourselves stuck in a massacre of cars shortly after that. There were road blocks everywhere, and a generous sprinkle of detours.

"Duke! Duke!" cried Claire, pointing towards the bumper ahead. Duke, in his agitated plight had abandoned his breaks, and we were near crashing into the Mercedes in front. "Gosh, woman! Shut up, I know what I'm doing!" Brace yourself, I told myself.

"Know what you're doing? You were gonna crash into that car!" blurted Claire.
"But I didn't, did I?" replied Duke, cool and calm.
"Yeah, thanks to me! Had I not..."
"I'm the one driving, not you! Unless you smarten up, you can walk."

"Yeah, I might just make it home this year too. Unlock the door." Claire pulled at the handle.

Silence.

"Unlock the door."

More silence.

"Unlock the bloody door, Duke!"
"You're not leaving. Period."

The rest of the journey, spinning around detours was a ferocious tango between asphalt and rubber. That and the overwhelming silence, literally killed me. I longed for conversation, jokes and nonsensical chat. Even soppy lovey dovey words they usually exchanged would have sufficed.

"So, when is football practice next, Duke?" I chanced.
"Same time, next Tuesday," came the reply short and curt.
"Think we got a good chance against the Green Giants?"
"Sure. We'll cream them." Yet again, I failed.
So, I tried again. "I heard they got this huge guy, 6 feet and all..."
"Shut up Justin."

I did. Claire snickered. Duke didn't flinch.

*****
I had no idea how long I was asleep, but I was awoken by another of Claire and Duke's arguments.

"Take the freaking right turn, I told you that a hundred times."
"No, you said left!"
"I said right, Duke. Right! Which part of right and left can you not understand?"
"Fine. I'll find my way out of here. Just sit pretty and calm yourself down."
"Calm myself? You're the gallivanting bull here! We've been stuck in this deserted area for the past three hours and you're talking about calm!"
I couldn't take it no more.

"What the hell is wrong with you two?" I blurted out, raging anger pumping through my veins.

They both turned to look at me. Silence, then:

"Wow, really Mr-I-didn't-sleep-for-4-and-a-half-hours, like you know anything that's going on." Claire smiled sarcastically.

"To add to that, your snoring was like symphonies right out from Beethoven's piano!"
"What a wonderful..."
Claire stopped short. The three of us were peering out of our windows. Outside, were houses, low and crooked, illuminated by red lights. The roads were narrow, and the little village, if I may call it so, was scary and dingy. The night air didn't help soften the tensed mood. I noticed Claire slip her had into Duke's, obviously frightened by the eerie looking place. Duke drove out further, and stopped outside a small bungalow, labelled 'Town Council'. It looked uninhabited and overgrown with weeds all around, but it was the best help now.

Duke climbed out the car, Claire followed.

"Please stay inside Claire," Duke said softly. Claire was adamant. She followed closely. I wasn't going to be left alone.

The door creaked as we opened it. We figured the council wouldn't be in at 2 o'clock in the morning but there might be someone, at least. We went in slowly. The floorboards sighed heavily.

Crash!
"Claire! Where are you?" shouted Duke, once he realised her hand wasn't in his any longer. In the consuming darkness, Claire was gone, vanished through the floorboards. It was a few moments later that we heard her screaming for help, followed by us crashing down through the weak boards, swimming in a grave of skeletons.

To be continued...

No comments: